CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, June 26, 2010

Iceland geology at war.


Never let it be said that I am not excited about my journey through life. I think about the millions who have never really seen the world outside of their home town, and wonder do they look at life like a journey, or just a string of unfortunate events fallowed by death (You know I am I'm just kidding right?). I know some people are happy being in one place, and I can understand the enjoyment of feeling grounded. But I have never been that person. For me being in one place too long feels like being stuck. There is just to much world, and a finite amount of time to see it all. I also am not big on tourist traps. I want to see the beach that only 3 other people have ever walked on, or the small village with people that think seeing a new person is an event worth telling their friends about. I know when I start sailing south and pick up a job in Texas the first thing I will save for is a slightly bigger blue water sailboat. One that I can sail to Europe and around the globe. This pearson 30 is a great island hopper/shore cruiser, but not the choice I would make to head 2000 miles from land in all directions. 

I think when I get that boat the first place I will go is Iceland That is one of those places that the planet really shows off what it can do. Iceland is many different effects happening at the same time. One effect is that it sits on top of the line between two tectonic plates. At the center of the Mid Atlantic ridge it pushes apart by about an inch every year. Another real cool fact and the reason it is not at the bottom of the Atlantic is that it is on top of what is called a “Hot spot” that pushes the land up, and is why it is very active volcanically. It is the only place that you can stand on the Mid Atlantic ridge that's on dry land. As if that wasn't ample reason to go there, you also have fire meeting ice. Glaciers mixing with Volcanic activity in a war that has been going on for millions of years. It is just as if someone took all the coolest geographic activity and threw it all together in one place.  So as the ridge and volcanic activity make new land the glaciers are working their magic to slowly erode it away. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment