CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Not all knots are the same


Well today is one of those days I find myself getting ready to climb my mast. WooHoo climbing up on a 45' poll as the boat rocks back in forth in the wind. One thing I need to work out is how to keep my body in a fixed position when I am at the top. Times like this I wish I just had a mast ladder it would make life so much easer. So I am looking at Knots. One of the many beauties of boat living is you learn a lot about the long and tangled history of knots. Sailers have knots for everything. You want to tie your pen to something on your desk so people can't walk away with it Sailers have a knot for it. But given the fact I will be climbing 45 feet off the deck of the boat I am also looking at rock climbing knots. Most of their knots stem from seamanship but are seldom used by mariners anymore. All I know is right now I have a 4 step plan Step one climb to the top. Step two tie a knot that keeps me there and don't fall. Step Three fix my weather van, rigging, and check my radio antenna. Lastly step four untie knot without falling, and climb down. It is funny how simple it all sound before you look up to the top of the mast and watch is swing back and forth.
Knots for everything

1 comments:

Leslie in Adams Morgan said...

I guess you made it up the mast since you continue to post. :-)

Post a Comment